Saturday, April 6, 2013

Building Confidence

One of the biggest issues I've dealt with in years past was my lack of confidence on the bike.

Perhaps the best example was last fall. I only did one race all year and it was the Deep Blue Time Trial. My confidence was so non-existent that I didn't ride my time trial bike, wear a skin suit, or a time trial helmet. I showed up equipped for a road race and I finished last in my category. No surprise. The way I showed up for that race, there was almost no pressure to perform... which is a common trick for people with no confidence.

I've mentioned before that my training this winter was completely different from what I normally do. It had an interesting side effect: for the last 6 months, "speed" never crossed my mind. I was focused on power. The courses I set up on the CompuTrainer were all uphill, so my speed was not really relevant to riding outside. I just focused on hitting my power target for the day for the amount of time I was supposed to hold it.

Power and time. That was all I focused on. Each week, I increased the target just 1 or 2 watts. No big deal. Small steps that I could handle. Not to say it was easy, just that I could handle it. After 7 months, my power targets were up dramatically and I have absolute confidence in how much power I can put out for any set amount of time because I've done it a dozen times in training.

I learned an incredible lesson: that success in training builds confidence. Success in really hard training builds really solid confidence.

Since my races are all time trials, I can plan for them by knowing roughly how long it will take me to finish (within a couple of minutes) and then base my power target off the training I've already done. I might add a couple of watts considering it will be race day and I will be a little better rested and more motivated than I am for routine training. But I know what power to aim for.

For example, next week's race is only 9 km (about 5.4 miles, according to the mapping sites). I'm guessing that I will finish somewhere between 13 and 15 minutes, so all I have to do is pick the power I think I can hold that long and then show up and do it. It might be cooler or windy, but I know the power that I can hold for that long so I can pace for it.

In years past, I've been a nervous wreck, worrying about placement. This year, I'm just focused on power and duration. If I hit the power target, it's a good day. We'll just wait and see where that goal gets me on the result sheet.