Saturday, December 21, 2013

Winter Boot Camp

From the time we got back from Vegas to the time we leave for Christmas, I had 14 days to train. Since I was well rested after several days of not riding and am going to have several more days off, I decided to absolutely floor it for those two weeks.

I have not taken a single rest day or a single easy day and trained twice on some days. While pushing this hard I hit some surprising numbers, many of which slightly better than what I was doing last February. I have gone from worrying about being behind and not hitting the results I needed to being right on schedule. I wanted to hit the Christmas break absolutely exhausted and in desperate need of a recovery week. It's safe to say that I've hit that goal.

When I get back, I will have 12 weeks until my first race.

I will be starting to ride my time trial bike more, getting used to a position I have not been in since August. From then on, I'll be doing all my hard training and test days on the TT bike to give me better data for my races. I'll also be fixing a few mistakes that I made in last year's training and gradually building up to the hell-on-Earth schedule that Hunter and I worked out so I can gain fitness during my insane 9-weeks straight of racing in the spring (yes, I'm more worried about surviving the workouts than I am the races!!).

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays!!