Sunday, April 6, 2014

As a Rule

The guys I ride with at work know that I have a couple of rules for riding in certain weather: I don't ride in the rain and I don't ride when it's below 42 degrees.

I've broken both those rules for races in the last 8 days. Last week it was pouring rain. This week is was 36 degrees. Sure, it was sunny, but the 18 mph wind gusts made it feel a lot colder.

Like last week, I got in a decent week of training with a sharp drop in training the last few days. I felt terrible on the bike both days, but had faith that I would be ready this morning... and I was. Warming up, I felt really good.

I planned on taking a risk with my pacing strategy. With the gusty winds on the way out, I planned to go full gas out to the turnaround and hope that I would have enough to work with the tail winds on the way back.

After beating me last week and getting ahead in the series standings, Anthony was starting in the spot 30 seconds behind me, so he had the advantage of being able to see where I was at all times. I was going to really have to do well to override that.

The start went well and I was right up to speed quickly. Unlike last week, I was paying attention to my position, trying to stay under the wind as much as I could and I kept my power right where I wanted it. Even with the headwind, I was seeing speeds in the 24 to 25 mph range.

I hit the turnaround at about 8:50 and an average of 298 watts. There was no way I could maintain that the whole way back and I knew it... right according to plan. I kept my power up until the last second and rolled smoothly through the turnaround. As I got back up to speed, I saw that Anthony was not far behind me, but I couldn't really judge how far.

The way back was WAY faster. As I had planned (hoped?), the tailwinds were really strong on the way back. I was pushing 27 to 28 mph at some points. I was really struggling to keep my power up, but I knew it would not be near my top end.

I hit the finish line with everything I had. Just in time... I could barely feel my fingers anymore! I looked a lot more determined in the finish line photos.

It turned out that Anthony beat me by about 12 seconds, like last week (all that work for the same results?!?!). If I'm going to win the series, I need to start beating him. At this point, I'm not quite sure how to pull that off.

That said, he was someone I raced all last year. If someone is going to beat me, I'm happy that it's someone I already know and respect. It was his first win and it's awesome to be able to congratulate a friend on a huge accomplishment like that.

What I Did Right:
Put faith in my training
Planing and executing my experimental pacing
Focused on my position
Kept the power up the whole time


What Could have been Better:
I think today went really well. I didn't make any obvious mistakes.

The Numbers:
Distance: 7.3 miles
Time: 17:11 (I did 17:32 last year)
Speed: 25.5 mph
Avg Wattage: 284 watts
Avg Heart Rate: 164 bpm