Sunday, May 11, 2014

Breather

After six weeks in a row of racing, I'm happy to say that there were no races this weekend.

There was supposed to be an 18 mile TT on a flat course today, but it was canceled due to major construction on the road. I'm not complaining.

I really love racing. I love the excitement of the start line, the pressure to do my best during the race, those moment of suspense afterward waiting to find out how I did, and the great competition that Anthony and I have going on this year... but I really needed the break. Doing it every weekend is a little more than I would prefer. It feels like I have not had a day off since March.

For the last six weeks, my life has been a frenzy of training, resting, equipment maintenance, packing, traveling, and unpacking. It's really nice to have a weekend to stay home and not worry about any of that. In fact, both days of the weekend were unstructured training and I just rode for fun.

For the next six weeks, I have a race every other weekend and then get a month of no races at all. I'm kind of excited since I knew that I had some weaknesses in my training at the start of the season and I've been dying to work on them. With a little more time between races, I have time to actually train instead of just maintaining where I was.

With the series already half over, I'm in second place at 85 points. Anthony is in the lead with 91 points. What makes it more interesting is that the series will drop our lowest scores at the end of the year. Both of our lowest scores were at the High Point Hill Climb, where he got 6 points and I got 0. Dropping those scores ties us both at 85 points! He still has the advantage and gets to start behind me. I'll really need to work to take that way. We both really want to win the series and neither of us is giving an inch. I hope the second half is just as fun as the first!