Saturday, July 5, 2014

Training, Training, and More Training

The last few weeks have been a nice break from racing. We went away for a weekend and got in some quality relaxation time and we got another long weekend for the 4th of July.

I've been under tremendous pressure at work lately so I've been stress eating a bit more. We're also in the middle of renovations at work and I don't have access to showers so I have not been riding at work. With those two complications, I have not been losing weight the way I wanted. Well, I have not lost any at all (but at least I have not gained any).

I've taken a slightly different approach to training this summer than last summer. Last summer, every time I successfully completed a workout, I would try to increase the power on the next one. That was not working this year so I tried going the other way: instead of increasing the power, I'm increasing either the duration or the number of repetitions. I'll increase an interval from 10 minutes to 12 minutes or do 4 the next time instead of 3.

It's hard to say if it's having any effect since I have not done any testing yet. If nothing else, I am at least able to finish the longer workouts (which are topping out around 5 hours now on the weekend).

It's been 3 weeks since my last race and I'm just starting to miss it... by the time my next race rolls around in 2 weeks, I should be really eager to race. Which is good. At 25 miles, it's by far the longest race of the year (with the next longest only 11.2 miles).