Sunday, January 31, 2010

Stage 3: Hanging on for dear life

Today was the hill stage: 3 major climbs ranging from 4% to 11.5%, each one about 4 to 5 miles in length, followed by a descent and then the next climb.

My strategy today was to hang on and try to survive. Luckily, the group I was with worked together for the first 29 of today's 31 miles. With just under 2 miles to go, the Shankopotamus made a move. He took off like a rocket, leaving all of us in his wake. Darren and Harper came in a little behind him, then me, then Melanie, then Kevin and then John.

It was a brutal day and much of it was a blur. My legs hurt quite a bit and I'm planning to take it as easy as I can tonight and get an easy recovery ride in the morning to help my legs heal up.

This week I'm going to get back in the gym to help get my weight loss moving again. Today's stage reminded me of how much I really need to burn off that last 8 to 10 pounds before racing season really kicks into high gear.

Thanks to Joe Wentzell and all the folks who made this great event happen!