Saturday, November 6, 2010

Better than I expected

Today was my first RPM ride of the season. I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

For the last two weeks, I've been riding around 9 hours a week, up from 7. I've been spending some of those additional hours riding with the guys from work at lunch, and they like to attack and sprint a lot, so I'm working a lot harder than I would normally. Add in a night at the gym each week, and my legs have been a bit stiff. I wasn't expecting to do too well today.

It was a small group today, with just Todd and I. We did a course that I was not familiar with, that turned out to have a few pretty steep climbs in it (up to 8.9%).

I pushed pretty hard the first hour and averaged 243 watts. After that, I backed off a bit, and averaged 232 watts for 1:30. I forgot to look up my numbers from last year before I left this morning, so I didn't know if that was good or not.

It turned out to be very good. My numbers from the first few RPM classes last fall were in the 204 to 208 range. I'm a full 15% above that.

On the downside, my weight is still hovering around 186 :-(