Sunday, January 3, 2016

A New Ingredient

I always knew that sooner or later, cycling alone would not be enough training to keep me fit and healthy overall. As great as it is for aerobic fitness, it's lower-body only and not weight-bearing. I'll be 42 in a few weeks and thought maybe it was time.

I'm also struggling because I've lot a fair amount of fitness over the last few months. I've been on the road a bit and my motivation has been at a pretty low point. It seems like anything that I can do to help get me training, even if it's just fitness and not on the bike, would be a good start.

So, I got a heavy bag this week and started boxing training.

It's totally different from what I'm used to. My history in sports is make up entirely of repetitive motions: speedskating, lifting, and cycling. Once you can do one repetition well, it's just a matter of doing it with varying levels of speed and force. Boxing requires learning dozens of new skills and performing several at once.

Still, it's a lot of fun to do something new and different. I know it won't make me a better cyclist but it should help me be a fitter adult in general.

After the first day, my wrists, forearms, and shoulders are sore. I got short-finger gloves (like I'm used to for everything else) and skinned several knuckles already. We'll see how it goes from here!