Saturday, October 1, 2016

Injured Reserve

It's been a really long time since I've had an overuse injury. The last one I can remember was way back in 1999.... but I just broke the streak.

In diving back into training, I got a little too eager. I added in higher intensity (muscle tension, anaerobic capacity, and VO2 intervals) too soon and gave myself tendonitis.

So, my plan of beating myself up going into vacation so I could spend the week recovering did technically work, just not in the way I had planned.

After a few days off the bike completely, I did an easy ride with almost no force on the pedals at all and my knee felt OK afterwards. I'll be doing that the next few days just to keep moving... and then pick back up when I get back.

Since I don't plan on racing next year, I'm starting to pick some round-number targets that I'd like to see, namely 400 watts for 5:00, 500 watts for 2:00, and 660 watts for 1:00. No real reason, I just want some targets to aim for this winter.

I don't have weight numbers this week... not riding for several days and eating a little more out of frustration, I don't really want to know.