Saturday, October 15, 2016

Starting Over

After months of riding without an focus, a few weeks riding easy to let my knee heal, and another week off for vacation, I'm doing something I haven't done in years: a true foundation period.

The simple fact is that I've lost so much fitness my body can't handle high volume, high intensity kind of training right now and I need to rebuild that. I had a good chat with Hunter the other night to help me come to terms with that and how to do it... it's been so long that I wasn't sure what I should actually be doing!

So, for the rest of 2016, I'll be gradually increasing the lengths of my rides, gradually adding in tempo and sweetspot work, and lightly sprinkling in a couple of bursts here and there.

I've also got a new tool to help me out. After years of love/hate with my CompuTrainer, I decided it was time to get something more modern and more flexible: the Tacx Neo trainer. A couple days in, I'm already loving the ability to use a wider array of training software and the fact that the trainer itself has a little give to it, making it feel more like a bike on the road and being bolted into a steeel cage. Their software offers some nice options I didn't have before and will help keep me entertained on some of the longer rides. Oh, and I've started riding on Zwift too.

The downside is that from all that time off (and LOTS of eating while we were gone), my weight is up. Hopefully it will consistently drop from here until Christmas.

Weekly Stats:
Avg Weight: 188.6 lbs
Avg Body fat: 22.5%
Training Volume: 7.1 hours
ATL: 48.3
mFTP: 203w