Sunday, May 10, 2020

Starting point

Test Day

Let's be honest... any fitness I have at all is a miracle or purely genetic.

After so long off training and a major surgery, I really should expect much. I put in 6 1/2 hours of trainer time last week, which is way more than I thought I could handle. Since I was doing so well, I decided to be daring and try a 20-minute FTP test to get a better idea of where my fitness really is. 

I averaged 175 watts for the test, and I'm absolutely sure I can do better because my pacing was AWFUL. I shouldn't beat myself up for that... I really had no idea where I was starting from, so I was guessing the whole time.

I started out at what I thought was a safe bet, at 165 watts. I suspected my threshold was at least 150, so I should be able to hold 165 pretty safely. Ten minutes in, I my legs were on fire, but my heart rate was only at 145 bpm. I was breathing deeply, but not struggling.

I gradually increased the power output, 175, then 185, then 195. My heart rate climbed a gradually with the increase, but no major spike. Once again it was my legs that really hurt.

For the last minute I floored it, giving it all I had, holding about 240 watts to the finish.

For a test where the goal is to hold a steady or very gradually increasing power throughout, that was awful, but it also gave me some idea of where I'm at.... which really isn't awful (for comparison, my best 20-minute test when I was racing was 309 watts, so I have some way to go!!).

Goals:

I know we're still in a pandemic and any events this year are questionable, but I'm looking at two right now: The Farm to Fork Dutch Fondo 30-mile and Maryland Gran Fondo 30-mile, which are 15 and 19 weeks away. 

My only goal is to finish both rides, but that requires abilities I used to take for granted:
  • ride outside for 2 to 2 1/2 hours
  • tolerate road vibration without pain (well, in the surgical areas anyway!)
  • tolerate steep climbs without pain
Don't worry, I'm not insane. I know that my recovery progress will determine whether I am able to do one or both rides. If nothing else, having those goals will help keep me motivated to work harder on my recovery. 

My reason to do those events is to scout them out so I can come back next year and be competitive in the longer versions (probably the 70-mile option).

They are nothing like the events I've done before, so I'll be learning the whole time.