Sunday, February 13, 2011

You know you're training hard enough when...

Athletes often wonder whether they are training hard enough. I think and easy way to tell is by measuring how much you look forward to recovery days and recovery weeks in your training plan.

Today is the last day of Week 3 of my training cycle, and let me tell you, I'm REALLY looking forward to the recovery week that starts tomorrow.

For the last three weeks, I've been increasing both the intensity of my workouts and the amount of time that I spend on the bike. I've been doing a lot of high speed, high intensity work and my body is really not happy about it.

So, for the next few days I get to take it really easy. No long rides, no sprints, no tempo work, not threshold work, no heavy weight lifting. Just some short, very easy rides on the trainer.

Next weekend is the Tour de Breakaway, our annual fundraiser for our juniors team. It's three days of racing on the CompuTrainers at Breakaway Bikes. I did it last year and really enjoyed it. Hopefully this year will be as fun!

As of this morning, I'm down to 183.6 (from 190) and my body fat is holding around 21% (from 22.5%. I think last week's 20.4% number was a fluke since I only saw it for one day).