Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Little More Intense

This week, I added a little more intensity to the training diet, ranging from 1 kilometer sprints (only about a minute and twenty seconds, but HARD) to 30-second bursts at 400 watts to 15 second bursts at 620 watts to long 45 minute climbs at or above threshold.

Yes, my legs are a bit tired from it!

I have to say that it feels great. I'm really happy at how well my body tolerated the extra abuse. Within each session, I actually found myself able to go a little harder after the first couple, telling me that I was pacing myself too low early on. Of course, now I'm making the other mistake and starting out too hard and then struggling to maintain. I'll get it right eventually!

I'm still doing light plyometrics, trying to work up my explosive power. I'm not getting much additional power, but I am consistently hitting 5-second power in the 1040 to 1050 watt range. That used to be a personal best, now I do it three or four times a week.

One more week of really hard training and then a week of recovery before the 2011 Tour de Breakaway

In other training news, my weight bench and adjustable dumbbells should be here on Friday. I've already received by stability ball and elastic cords. Next weekend, Shelli and I should be able to start doing solid strength and balance workouts at home. (I'm sure FedEx will enjoy delivering the 108 pound package!)

And finally, my weight is down to 184.4 (from 190) and my body fat is down to 20.4% (from 22.5%).